Any Higher Education Institute (HEI) whose undergraduate or taught master’s degree course meets the eligibility criteria can apply. Degree courses are rigorously assessed by trained professionals to ensure that they meet the required standard.
Benefits of Accreditation to HEIs
- Entitled to use the CIEEM accredited degree logo on your website and other marketing materials.
- Receive a certificate of accreditation.
- Students on accredited courses will be entitled to FREE student membership.
- Develop links with CIEEM local member network groups. Members from these groups can give career talks to students upon request.
- Access to a tailored webpage with up to date information on changes to environmental policy, local events and conferences and networking/professional development opportunities, many of which include opportunities for CIEEM students to attend for free.
- Accredited Degrees will be listed on our website.
- We endeavor to assist accredited degree programme leaders in establishing new links with leading practitioners within the profession, creating invaluable opportunities for students on the course.
Professor Paul Ashton, Head of Biology at Edge Hill University, said:
“This is a fantastic achievement and will ensure that the skill and expertise of course graduates will be immediately recognised by potential employers.”
To apply for accreditation, a degree course must meet the relevant eligibility criteria, which are based on:
- Course content: To be accredited, an undergraduate course must cover all 18 competencies outlined in the expression of interest form and handbooks below. Whilst a postgraduate course must be able to demonstrate how any gaps are addressed and how the knowledge is built on through the taught content of the postgraduate degree.
- Practical skills content: There is a minimum requirement of 30 days of practical work (including 18 days of taught fieldwork) for undergraduate courses, and a minimum requirement of 15 days of taught practical work (of which a minimum 9 days must be taught fieldwork) for postgraduate courses.
- Academic team: At least one member of the core academic team must be a Full Member of CIEEM.
- Submit an Expression of Interest form (below).
- Once eligibility is confirmed the HEI will be invited to submit a full application.
- Site visit to take place at HEI.
- Following the visit, the Assessment Panel will make a recommendation to CIEEM as to whether the course should be accredited.
Expression of Interest: Undergraduate
CIEEM Accreditation Handbook (Undergraduate)
Expression of Interest: Postgraduate Degree
Degree Accreditation Handbook: MSc Taught Courses
The cost of accreditation varies according to the period that it is valid for. Ideally validations last for five years and the cost is £3,750. The first charge of £250 should be paid with the submission of the Expression of Interest form. The remainder is payable once the HEI is invited to submit a full application. When a degree is first submitted for accreditation and re-validation is within the five-year period, it will only be possible to accredit for the period up to the re-validation exercise. In such cases a lower accreditation fee is payable. Full details are in the relevant Accreditation Handbooks above.