The objects for which the Chartered Institute is constituted (as set out in our Royal Charter) are to advance the understanding and the standards of practice of ecology and environmental management for the benefit of the natural environment and the public good; and to further the conservation, management and enhancement of biodiversity and the maintenance of ecological processes and life support systems essential to a fully functional biosphere.
Our mission is to raise the standards and profile of professional ecological and environmental management for the benefit of the nature and society.
We aim to achieve our mission through a wide range of activities, including:
- Establishing and upholding standards of professional competence and conduct of those who practice ecological and environmental management as a profession.
- Promoting the sharing of best practice through publications, networking and awards.
- Supporting continuing professional development (CPD) through the provision of training and conferences.
- Being an influential voice for the sector by advising governments on policy and practice in relation to management of the natural environment.
- Promoting an integrated, inter-disciplinary approach to sustainable management of the natural environment.
Our work is underpinned by a commitment to manage our own activities to minimise our impact on the environment (CIEEM Environmental Policy) and to promote equality of opportunity for our members and those who work with us (CIEEM Equal Opportunities Policy).
Our Strategic Plan sets out our ambitious agenda for the organisation.