About the Group
The All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for Nature was launched in July 2019. It provides a forum for engaging and inspiring parliamentarians and others with the natural world, the major threats that it faces today, and the positives that come from a healthy natural environment.
The Group has a clear focus to be effective beyond individual meetings and events and will seek to extend its influence wherever possible for the benefit of nature and people.
CIEEM provides the Secretariat for the Group and organises an engaging and inspiring programme of activities (including both parliamentary events and site visits) to highlight the importance of nature for its enjoyment and to human well-being, as well as its necessity for the economy and society.
The Group’s Officers are:
- Barry Gardiner MP (Chair)
- Baroness Kate Parminter (Vice Chair)
- Alexander Stafford MP
- Baroness Barbara Young of Old Scone
Parliamentary members of the Group include:
- Geraint Davies MP
- Lord Randall of Uxbridge
- Caroline Lucas MP
- Wes Streeting MP
- Derek Twigg MP
- Philip Dunne MP
- Kerry McCarthy MP
- Claudia Webbe MP
- Baroness Bennett of Manor Castle
- Rachael Maskell MP
The APPG uses the hashtag #APPGnature on social media.
- People’s Trust for Endangered Species
- Halcyon Ecology
- Northumbrian Water Group
- RSK Biocensus
- Cotswold Wildlife Surveys
- Bat Conservation Trust
- Middlemarch Environmental
- Northumbria University (Alister Scott)
- Wildflower Turf Ltd
- Essex and Suffolk Water
- Hannah Bourne-Taylor (Freelance Nature Author)
Please see below for more information on joining.
Future events that we will be holding in 2023 include:
- What now for biodiversity post-COP15? (includes Kew Gardens site visit, RBG Kew, 26 January 2023
- Natural Capital, 8 July 2019 (briefing paper for policy-makers, briefing note for practitioners)
- Nature and Mental Health, 24 February 2020 (presentation slides, minutes of the event)
- Global Deal for Nature and a Green Recovery, 2 July 2020 (recording of the event, minutes)
- Climate Crisis: Nature’s Solutions, 9 December 2020 (minutes, post-event briefing)
- Parliamentary Conservation Panel: How has Coronavirus Impacted Conservation? – 21 January 2021 (recording, from 19 mins)
- AGM followed by ‘How will Local Authorities deliver the 25 Year Environment Plan?’ (minutes, presentation slides)
- Hot Topics Event on Nature Based Medicine and the impacts of biomass growth on biodiversity, 26 October 2021 (minutes, presentation slides)
- APPG for Nature AGM and Forward Planning for COP15 – 23 March (minutes)
- Delivering Resilient Floodplains Parliamentary Reception; 18 October
Associate membership of the APPG for Nature is open to non-parliamentary organisations. Membership subscriptions from these organisations provide a source of funding that allows CIEEM to organise events and cover some administration costs. CIEEM will facilitate the running of a regular meeting and site visit programme, parliamentary work and information distribution.
Associate members will receive:
- All APPG for Nature newsletters, reports and briefings
- Invitations to all APPG for Nature events
- Input into the development and delivery of the APPG’s programme of events and activities
- Recognition of their Supporter Status at APPG for Nature events and on the APPG for Nature webpage.
At meetings, associate members are asked to participate actively in discussions, whilst recognising that the group is intended as a means of disseminating impartial information and that parliamentarians have priority in their contributions. Associate members do not have voting rights, which according to the official APPG rules only Parliamentarians can have.
Associate members are welcome to contribute additional resources etc. to the activities of the APPG.
Please be aware that membership for the APPG for Nature is a separate product to individual CIEEM membership and therefore not dealt with by the CIEEM Membership Team.
Secretariat services are provided by CIEEM’s Policy and Communications Team. Services include provision of administration; project and event management; shared costs of telephone, IT, web and email hosting; and financial management.
Contact the APPG for Nature secretariat at APPGforNature@cieem.net.
Annual membership subscriptions and any additional sponsorship for the APPG for Nature are managed by CIEEM.
Sign up for updates from the APPG for Nature
This is not an official website of the House of Commons or the House of Lords. It has not been approved by either House or its committees. All-Party Parliamentary Groups are informal groups of Members of both Houses with a common interest in particular issues. The views expressed in these webpages are those of the group