Committee on Climate Change Set Out Principles for a Resilient Recovery
The Committee on Climate Change has written to the Prime Minister and First Ministers in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, setting out six principles for a resilient economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.
The six principles are:
- Use climate investments to support economic recovery and jobs
- Lead a shift towards positive, long-term behaviours
- Tackle the wider ‘resilience deficit’ on climate change
- Embed fairness as a core principle
- Ensure the recovery does not lock-in greenhouse gas emissions or increased risk
- Strengthen incentives to reduce emissions when considering tax changes
The CCC emphasise the need to support reskilling, retraining and research as as well as continuing efforts to expand tree planting, peatland restoration, green spaces and green infrastructure.