Senior-Principal Environmental Consultant (Freshwater Ecology)
Are you looking for your next career step? Do you want the opportunity to work on a broad range of projects, utilising your environmental skills and experience to help support our clients with the development of their projects whilst reducing their impacts on surface and groundwater? This role will provide you with this opportunity whilst working within a market leading environmental consultancy team.
We specialise in delivering high quality services relating to geomorphology and catchment management, river and freshwater habitat restoration, hydrology, hydrogeology, surface and groundwater quality across a range of developments, from National Significant Infrastructure Projects through to smaller planning applications. We have successfully supported our clients in delivering sustainable projects in sectors including water, renewables, energy, industry, ports, residential development, charities and the public sector.
About our team
Our water environment team is currently working on a variety of high profile infrastructure projects, including multiple projects for Southern Water, a new reservoir at Havant Thicket for Portsmouth Water, and multiple transmission cables for offshore wind farms across the UK. Our team is also leading the development of strategies to unlock residential development in catchments affected by nutrient and water neutrality restrictions, nature based solutions for flood, water and nutrient management, numerous fish passage projects and the delivery of river restoration and floodplain habitat enhancement projects.
We are seeking enthusiastic, optimistic, conscientious and talented people with excellent communication skills and technical ability in relation to the water environment. We are particularly interested in individuals who have expertise in freshwater ecology who have experience of the following:
- Collection, analysis and interpretation of ecological data.
- Drafting of interpretive reports.
- Input to EIA chapters, environmental permit applications, environmental enhancement feasibility studies and other public-facing reports.
- Working with and mentoring junior staff.
- Working with clients and managing project delivery.
As part of this role, you will play a central part in the delivery of EIAs, Water Environment Regulations Compliance Assessments, environmental permit applications and freshwater habitat restoration projects.
You will have an extensive understanding of the water environment and demonstrable experience of working on a range of development projects, with a relevant degree in an environmental discipline or similar subject (equivalent non-degree qualification will be considered).
This role might be right for you if you have:
- Extensive experience in the delivery of Biodiversity EIA chapters, Habitats Regulations Assessments, Water Environment
- Regulations Compliance Assessments, water-related consent and licence applications, and technical reports in your favoured discipline.
- Experience of aquatic macrophytes, invertebrates and/or fish, their habitat requirements, survey methodologies and classification methods.
- Excellent knowledge and a working understanding of relevant UK environmental legislation, planning policies and permitting regulations.
- Previous experience of working with the water industry or other sectors that are relevant to our wider work.
- Experience in advising clients (internal and external) and liaising with stakeholders in respect to water environment aspects.
- Gained or are working towards membership of CIEEM, IEMA or equivalent.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, organisational, analytical and time management skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
What we can offer you
Ambitious. Exciting. Lively. Collaborative. Dynamic. That’s how our colleagues describe our company. Want to contribute to Enhancing Society with your expertise? Be part of an open network where you’re connected with the brightest and smartest people and technologies? Join us!
You can look forward to growing your career in a dynamic workplace with development opportunities and support on your career path. We have flexible working models, including part time roles, to ensure a balance of family and working life.
Brighton, Exeter, Edinburgh, London, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle or Peterborough (with options for flexible/hybrid working)