Founded in 1931, Ryan Hanley is one of the foremost Engineering Consultants in Ireland. With offices in Dublin, Galway, Cork and Castlebar, we currently employ over 110 personnel, including Engineers, Engineering Technicians, Environmental Scientists, Ecologists, Quantity Surveyors, Software Developers and Administrative Staff. Our Clients include Local Authorities, Government Departments, State Agencies and Private National & Multinational Clients.
Ryan Hanley is driven by the needs and requirements of our Clients and it is the company’s belief that an innovative, enquiring approach best serves our Clients’ needs. We are now recruiting for Senior and Mid-Level Ecologists to join our growing Environmental Department. We are seeking driven individuals who love to challenge conventional thinking to join our growing, collaborative team of professionals working to meet the unprecedented industry-wide efficiency and environmental challenges. We are flexible with location so the role can be based in any of our 4 offices; Castlebar, Cork, Dublin or Galway.
Primarily, you will be assisting the environmental management team by conducting PEAs, EIAR and EIA Screenings, AA (Stage 1 and 2), etc. Alongside this you will be responsible for managing ecological issues arising on commissions for our Clients.
This is a great opportunity to join an ambitious team at an early stage of growth that will provide you with plenty of scope for career progression in the coming years.
You will hold a Bachelor or Masters degree in Environmental Science or Ecology that is accredited by the relevant professional body (CIEEM).
You will have experience in an ecology role within a planning or environmental consultancy to include delivery of EIAR, EcIA and AA (Stage 1 & 2). Knowledge of Irish and European legislation and regulations is essential. You will have experience in consent related technical assessments such as the Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA), Water Framework Directive (WFD), European Protected Species (EPS) and/or Marine Conservation Zone (MCZ) Assessment. Experience in liaison with statutory consultees and the development of environmental mitigation proposals will also be of benefit.
You will be ambitious, forward thinking and have a desire to better your career. You will also be comfortable taking on board significant responsibilities in the team, whilst supporting more junior staff in their development.
For the right candidate we offer a competitive salary, re-location package (UK), agile and flexible working arrangements, industry leading training, great projects and lots more!
Skills & Experience
- Demonstrate an unwavering passion for the Environment, driving innovation and an ability to positively influence and develop those around them;
- 5-10 years of ecology experience in the consulting sector working on large infrastructure projects or equivalent, comparable industry/projects;
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and strong and effective negotiating skills
- Able to communicate as part of the senior management team, influencing and driving change as required;
- Strategic-minded with excellent organisation, communication and time management skills. Project management and commercial/contract management experience required; and
- Ideally will have attained chartership with CIEEM, or at least well advanced on the path to chartership.
5-10 years’ experience in the following areas:
- Biodiversity experience i.e. NNL;
- Post graduate qualification (Masters or Doctorate) in Ecology or related subject;
- Experience in Bat surveying and Bat Licences and the ability to hold European Protected Species (EPS) licences for bats;
- Experience in surveys for birds, otter, badger and habitat assessment reporting;
- Experience of terrestrial and/or aquatic Invasive Species and preparation of Invasive Species Management Plans;
- Experience in large infrastructure projects (flood relief schemes, water and wastewater projects and greenways);
- Experience as Expert Witness;
- GIS experience.
Applications should include a detailed CV emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior/Principle Ecology Position” in subject line.