Binnies are recruiting experienced Ecologists to provide technical and mentoring support to our growing team of ecologists and projects.
You would be welcome to be based in one of our offices (Redhill, Chester, Swansea, Birmingham, Bradford on Avon, or Exeter) but we also offer flexible/remote working.
You will get the opportunity to work on an interesting and varied portfolio of work including flood, coastal and maritime projects, for clients such as the Environment Agency and Natural Resources Wales, and a range of other sectors such as ports, water utilities, transport and renewable power. One of our current Redhill projects is the River Thames Scheme, a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project requiring 8km of new flood relief channels and design of a large number of habitat creation areas in order to provide Biodiversity Net Gain.
We are a close team and have an active Ecology Community of Practice and pride ourselves on being at the forefront of ecological best practice and innovation. Our ecologists are empowered to work closely with our multi-disciplinary teams and shape projects to deliver more sustainable solutions and maximise Biodiversity Net Gain.
Binnies is a Registered Ecological (CIEEM) and Landscape Practice (Landscape Institute) and hold the IEMA EIA Quality Mark, which is a benchmark of our high standards in EIA delivery.
About the Role
- Mentoring and guiding more junior ecologists including a Team leader role if based in Redhill
- Helping to drive the ecological capability and innovation of our national team
- Managing ecological survey programmes
- Managing all stages of Ecological Impact Assessments from feasibility to delivery and monitoring
- Providing ecological input into planning, HRA and other consents
- Overseeing protected species licence applications and mitigation
- Design of habitat restoration/creation schemes and delivering Biodiversity Net Gain
- Providing a national technical authority in your area of specialism if applicable.
We understand that candidates will have different preferences on the amount of time they want to spend in the field; Binnies are happy to accommodate personal preferences, be that mainly field or office based or a mix.
We are seeking experienced Ecology professionals that can demonstrate the following qualifications, skills and knowledge:
- have an ecological/environmental related degree
- have or close to obtaining full membership of CIEEM
- hold at least one protected species licence or have another ecological specialism e.g. botany
- have excellent written and reviewing skills
- have a thorough understanding of ecological legislative and planning policy framework
- hold a full UK driving licence
- previous consultancy experience is desirable.
Our competitive salary will based on experience and include a range of benefits. Start date is flexible.
Binnies believe in the importance of professional development at all stages of your career and we would be pleased to support your continued development; either in your specialism or in new areas. If you are not already chartered we will provide mentoring and support through the process. We also pay for two professional institute memberships.