About the role:
LUC’s ecology team is passionate about creating opportunities for wildlife and people to thrive together.
With established teams in London, Bristol, Manchester, Edinburgh and Glasgow, we support a huge range of projects, at local and national levels. We’re enthusiastic about finding new ways to apply emerging ecological principals and methods to the most challenging of policy and development projects, and we have fun working together along the way.
We require a Senior Ecologist to join and support our busy London team. The role will include:
- Supporting business development initiatives in line with the LUC Strategy.
- Contributing to tenders and pricing exercises.
- Managing projects in line with LUC’s established procedures and protocols. Projects will range across a variety of scales, ecological discipline and client.
- Delivering projects, including both field and office elements.
- Managing and mentoring less experienced colleagues and contributing to team-wide training and development initiatives.
This role would particularly suit an ecologist currently in a consultant grade role, but ready to move their career forward.
The role includes the opportunity to share and participate actively in the management and ownership of the business through the Employee Ownership Trust, which places full ownership of the company with the employees.
You will be based in our Central London office. We are happy to discuss a blend of working from home and the office if desired (once pandemic risks / restrictions are lifted). You will need to make occasional visits to other LUC offices and carry out fieldwork.
A full time role would be based on 37.5 hours Monday to Friday. However, LUC has a strong track record in flexible working and we have been recognised for our flexible working culture, so we are happy to discuss a range of flexible working options for this role including some remote working and /or part time hours (minimum 30 hours per week) if desired.
Salary range: £31,500 – £36,000 FTE depending on experience (incl. London allowance).
The successful candidate will complement our existing enthusiastic and dedicated ecology team. You will share our commitment to high quality science and be motivated to help grow and develop our business, as an equal partner.
Experience and qualifications
- Educated to degree level or with equivalent level of skills and knowledge.
- Appropriate professional qualification (e.g. CIEEM) at a relevant level.
- Demonstrable knowledge of a range of ecological taxa, survey methods and assessment types.
- Experience of managing ecological consultancy projects (at any scale)
- Current protected species licence(s) (particularly in relation to bats)
- Experience of stakeholder engagement and negotiation.
- Experience of line management and team development.
- Demonstrable work-winning and business development skills.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Excellent communication skills and a proactive approach to building relationships with colleagues and project partners.
- Appetite for continuous learning and professional development.
For further details about LUC please visit our website www.landuse.co.uk
Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter, quoting reference: 2021-04 to Jennie Williamson, People & Culture Advisor at: HR@landuse.co.uk
Closing date for applications:26th February 2021
LUC is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and we actively encourage applications from under-represented groups. We value the differences, needs and contributions a diverse workforce represents, and we strive to embed equality, diversity and inclusion in all our people related activities.