About the role:
LUC’s ecology team is passionate about creating opportunities for wildlife and people to thrive together.
With established teams in London, Bristol, Manchester, Edinburgh and Glasgow, we support a huge range of projects, at local and national levels. We’re enthusiastic about finding new ways to apply emerging ecological principals and methods to the most challenging of policy and development projects, and we have fun working together along the way.
In 2021 we’ll be working on some of the most exciting projects in UK consultancy. We’ll work across development types ranging for energy generation to historic building restoration. We’ll explore habitats from the Scottish uplands to central London. We’ll search for protected species ranging from bats to golden eagle, via dormouse and freshwater pearl mussel.
We require Seasonal Ecology Fieldworkers to help deliver our exciting orderbook. Successful candidates will be part of the LUC team between April and September (inclusive). The role will involve:
- Preparing desk studies and collating ecological data sets.
- Preparing and planning surveys, in collaboration with colleagues.
- Implementing surveys across the UK, as part of a survey pair or a larger survey team.
- Analysing and interpreting ecological data.
- Contributing to consultancy reports.
- Contributing to wider business development activity.
This role would suit anyone looking to take their first steps in ecological consultancy. The role is designed to ensure successful candidates have exposure to all aspects of consultancy and gain a full understanding of the career opportunities it presents.
These roles will be based in our London, Bristol, Glasgow and/or Edinburgh offices, however much of the work will be focused in the field, at any of our sites across the UK.
We are happy to discuss a blend of working from home and the office if desired (once pandemic risks / restrictions are lifted).
Salary: £22,000 pro-rata FTE (London Allowance will apply for candidates appointed to our London office).
The successful candidate will complement our existing enthusiastic and dedicated ecology team. You will share our commitment to high quality science and be motivated to grow your ecology field skills.
Experience and qualifications
- Educated to degree level, or with equivalent level of relevant skills and knowledge.
- Full UK driving licence.
- Willingness to work across the UK, with regular trips away from home (all costs and expenses covered by LUC).
- Willingness to work antisocial hours, particularly during the bat survey season when night shift work will be necessary.
- Ability to work collaboratively and positively with a with a small team of colleagues, often for extended periods away from home.
- Existing knowledge of UK habitats and species.
- Ecological field survey experience.
- 4×4 driving skills
- Enthusiastic about the natural environment.
- Excellent communication skills and a proactive approach to building relationships with colleagues.
- Curious, with an appetite for continuous learning and professional development.
For further details about LUC please visit our website www.landuse.co.uk
Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter, quoting reference: 2021-08 and specifying your preferred location(s) to Jennie Williamson, People & Culture Advisor at: HR@landuse.co.uk
Closing date for applications: 17 March 2021.
LUC is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and we actively encourage applications from under-represented groups. We value the differences, needs and contributions a diverse workforce represents, and we strive to embed equality, diversity and inclusion in all our people related activities.