We are looking to recruit a Principal Ecological Consultant to lead and develop our ecology team, and help to deliver projects due to our increasing workloads and expanding client base across the midlands and UK from our offices in Alcester and Lichfield. There are some key skills we expect you to have, however our company culture and team dynamic is important to us, so it’s just as vital that you’re a good fit within the team.
In terms of the role, no day will be the same. There will be times where your work is a smaller part of a larger project, but generally you will be involved in projects from start to finish and will manage your own projects commensurate to your skills and experience. This is something that consultants joining us from other consultancies have specifically mentioned that they really enjoy. Our goal is to help you to develop in to the best consultant you can be, whilst supporting our clients and team.
Are you looking to be part of a fun, dynamic, driven, and experienced Ecology Team? Do you want to be part of a progressive and forward-thinking multi-disciplinary environmental consultancy, which prides itself on building honest, strong working relationships with clients, and takes pride in delivering quality in the services it delivers?
Please visit our website to view the job specification, providing further details on the position, skills and attributes required.
Company benefits include:
- Flexible working scheme and transparent TOIL policy.
- Full tech pack including phone, laptop, tablet.
- Extra day of annual leave for your birthday.
- Bring your dog to work (providing they’re well-behaved and get on with the current Wharton Canines!).
- Quarterly team activity days to celebrate success over the previous financial quarter.
- One day per quarter to volunteer.
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme.
- Critical illness and life insurance cover.
Some of the responsibilities, the knowledge, skills and abilities needed for this position:
- Have excellent technical knowledge of protected species, habitats, and ecological processes.
- Have an in-depth understanding of legislative and policy issues relating to specialist field and the planning process.
- Be able to produce high quality technical ecological reports.
- Have a good understanding of the principles of biodiversity net gain, and have experience of undertaking BNG assessments to a level sufficient to technically support junior staff
- Have an eye for detail and be able to critically review standard and complex ecological reports to ensure they are accurate and fit for purpose.
- Good commercial awareness and be able to upsell services to clients, identifying opportunities for growth.
- Demonstrable experience of managing a team and mentoring junior staff, being able to identify skill shortages where training or additional experience is required.
- Management of monthly fees/budgets and ensure operational targets are achieved, work with the Business Operations Manager.
- Assist with developing company initiatives, development of the company within the marketplace, including presenting at CPD events internally and externally.
Some of the experience and qualifications which are needed for this position:
- An undergraduate and ideally a master’s degree in a relevant subject
- Be an Associate or Full of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management or other recognised professional body.
- Hold a minimum 2 protected species licences, and specifically a class 2 licence for bats.
If you want to develop your career, join a dynamic company, which is ISO9001 compliant, please send your CV with a covering letter of experience to Peter Wharton (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you wish to discuss the opportunity and role further please call on 01789 459458.