Who are Ecus?
As an SME Environmental Consultancy firm, and part of the Cura Terrae group of environmental companies, we have a national presence across Scotland, England, and Wales..
Ecus Ltd offers an environmental and sustainability consulting service where we aim to integrate what we do around the core principles of achieving a zero carbon and circular economy, the ecological imperative of biodiversity enhancement, healthy environments for people and places, and consideration of the future needs and resilience of society and infrastructure.
We have a strong focus around the natural and earth sciences and can provide a service which blends key skills in ecology, landscape, heritage, archaeology and arboriculture disciplines with environmental planning and management to reimagine projects and benefit sites.
With over 30 years of experience, our areas of expertise include:
- Environmental planning and consenting
- Carbon management
- Water consultancy
- Air quality
We are looking to appoint a dynamic Principal Ecologist to our growing team. This integral position is perfect for someone currently working as a Principal Ecologist, or a Senior Ecologist who is now ready to advance their career and take on a role with a greater level of responsibility. Whether you are looking to develop your own knowledge or impart your years of experience to others, you will be doing so with an award-winning environmental consultancy known for doing great work.
The skills and experience we hope to see:
You will use extensive technical experience across survey design and delivery, your experience of protected species mitigation and licences manage complex client sites, our large developments, and multi-species mitigation projects.
This role involves leading key client meetings including design team meetings, providing best practice guidance and advice to customers, and handling complex communications.
Our lesser experienced members of the team look to learn from, and develop skills alongside, Principal Consultants; and your role will regularly involve providing mentorship and supportive guidance to colleagues in your particular areas of specialism.
In addition to this, we look for all of our Principal Ecological Consultants to be:
- Authoritative in species mitigation and a mitigation license holder for at least one protected species with accomplished experience in mitigation for several further species
- A Survey license holder for at least one species with an authoritative level of experience, ideally bat and/or bird, GCN
- Experienced in developing the skills and knowledge of others by providing focused mentorship in relation to your specialist area or providing ongoing support dedicated to the progression of another team member
- Excellent at writing reports and carrying out quality control on others’ reports; with the adept handling of sensitive and confidential information
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office packages
- A recognised degree in an environmental or ecological discipline and a Member of Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management, Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment or similar relevant professional body
Working for us
Our culture is driven by our strength in teamwork and professionalism. We promote integrity and treat people with respect.
Ecus is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the workplace.. We provide a supportive friendly working environment, offer competitive salaries, flexible working and we are proud to be an accredited Investors in People organisation.
We are proud of our values, diversity and inclusion, and the benefits we offer.
Benefits we offer
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Additional days holiday per year worked (up to 5 additional days) after 2 years’ service
- Company matched pension scheme
- additional health care benefits
- Flexible and agile working culture
- Career development and Progression (Professional Membership (s) paid)
- Cycle to Work scheme
- 2 paid volunteer days per year