We are the leading professional membership body representing and supporting ecologists and environmental managers in the UK, Ireland and abroad. Our Vision is of a healthy natural environment for the benefit of current and future generations.
With a growing membership and an increasingly influential voice we are transforming the professionalism of the sector, just as our members are transforming understanding of, and attitudes towards, protecting and enhancing our natural environment. By working together, we believe we can make a difference, leading to a world rich in biodiversity for the benefit of us all, now and in the future.
In Practice is CIEEM’s highly regarded quarterly membership publication. It is highly valued by our members and is integral to the work that we do to raise standards and share knowledge. It is published in March, June, September and December and circulated to all CIEEM members and a small number of external subscribers. The vast majority of readers are in the UK and Ireland, with a small number in mainland Europe and the rest of the world.
In Practice has been published since 1991, with the current layout style being used since March 2012. A new design layout is currently planned for the December 2020 edition.
For further details on In Practice please see http://www.cieem.net/in-practice.
CIEEM is looking to appoint an Editor for In Practice to co-ordinate the publication production process, manage the editorial process, and to support ongoing development.
Expectations of the Editor
What is the Editor expected to do?
- Plan, in conjunction with the Secretariat, each issue of In Practice including timescales and deadlines for submission, review, layout and other relevant matters.
- Act as a contact point for potential authors and authors of submitted articles.
- Invite specific articles for each edition based on theme.
- Commission each edition’s Editorial contribution under guidance from the Secretariat.
- Manage the editorial process for submitted articles, including:
- receiving articles and acknowledging receipt to authors;
- preparing articles for review;
- managing the review process (and supporting the Editorial Board to do this);
- managing the revision process through to submission of final copy; and
- preparing articles for typesetting.
- Chair the quarterly Editorial Board teleconference meetings.
- Co-ordinate the overall layout and compiling of each edition, acting as the contact point between authors, the secretariat and the design-print-mail company.
- Proofread In Practice once laid out by the designers.
- Jointly with the Secretariat agree the final proof for printing.
- Nominate and agree future themes with the Editorial Board and Secretariat.
- Co-ordinate a biennial face-to-face meeting with the Editorial Board.
- Update the Guidance for Authors document as needed.
- Contribute ideas and suggestions to the ongoing development of In Practice.
Please note that the Editor will require a certain amount of time at pre-determined points in the year for each edition, which may make this role unsuitable for those with fluctuating or seasonal workloads.
CIEEM Secretariat Role
The CIEEM Secretariat will:
- Contribute internal articles and news items.
- Source images as required (although authors are encouraged to provide images with article submissions).
- Manage all advertising.
- Proofread In Practice once laid out by the designers.
- Jointly with the Editor agree the final proof for printing.
The Secretariat will continue to be responsible for overseeing the implementation of any agreed changes to content, style or tone in response to feedback from members and in consultation with the Editor and Editorial Board.
The new Editor will be in post to deliver the March 2021 edition, starting on Monday 2 November 2020.
The deadline for submissions to the March 2021 edition is 20 November 2020.
We would expect that the new Editor shadows the current Editor for the process and delivery of the December 2020 edition. For information, the deadline for article submissions for the December 2020 edition is 24 August 2020. Following this deadline, the Editorial Board teleconference will likely take place in early September 2020 to review submissions.
CIEEM is looking to appoint an Editor for In Practice on an initial two-year contract. This period will include the editions from March 2021 through to and including December 2022.
The fee payable for this two-year, eight-edition contract will be between £30,000 and £40,000 (dependent on relevant experience) inclusive of VAT and any other costs. This will be paid in equal quarterly instalments upon completion of each edition.
How to Apply
Interested parties are asked to submit:
- cover letter outlining interest in the position;
- CV outlining relevant technical (ecological and environmental management) and editorial experience;
- fee proposal (including estimated number of days to be allocated to each edition);
- brief (up to 200 words), critical appraisal of In Practice (including risks, challenges and opportunities); and
- names of two referees.
If you are interested in the In Practice Editor position please send the above to Jason Reeves (see contact details below) by the end of the day on Monday 27 July 2020.
Face-to-face (if possible) or videocall interviews will be held during the week of 3-7 August 2020.
If you would like further information or to discuss something regarding In Practice please contact:
Jason Reeves CEnv MCIEEM
Head of Policy and Communications
Mobile: 07851 254 871