Your new role
At National Highways we are committed to looking after our natural environment and our North West Operations Environment Team has an important part to play in supporting wildlife and ecosystems that interact with our strategic road network. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who has robust knowledge of protected species and experience of developing ideas for new environmental schemes. Join us as an Environmental Specialist and become an integral part of the team on a fixed term contract to June 2023. If you are passionate about minimising environmental impacts and maximising opportunities, then this is the role for you. In this varied exciting role, using your technical environmental expertise, you will get the chance to shape and make a real difference to our future.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position and during employment
What you’ll be leading on
- Delivering environmental reports (Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA)), including desk-based assessments, walkover surveys and report writing.
- Undertaking and coordinating surveys including protected species and habitat surveys required to inform environmental assessments in accordance with DMRB Volume 11.
- Environmental site visits duties during construction to ensure environmental issues are managed on site.
- Evaluating environmental data to develop future renewal and improvement projects, including the compilation of relevant documents, evidence and options for value management.
- Identifying and evaluating environmental needs relating to the development of maintenance solutions for the environmental asset, in line with agreed methodologies and prioritisation criteria.
- Ensuring that environmental inventory and condition information is captured and maintained in the relevant database(s), in line with agreed standards and timescales.
- Carrying out such other duties which are consistent with the nature and responsibilities of this role.
- The Environmental Specialist will contribute to the development and delivery of projects and maintenance works for the region, providing technical expertise on environmental topics and outcomes and working closely with Project Managers.
To be successful
- You are likely to have a BSc/MSc in a relevant environmental discipline and/or equivalent proven work experience in this field.
- Ideally, you will have existing membership to an appropriate professional body such as the Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management
- You will have firm botanical knowledge and knowledge of protective species legislation and survey techniques.
- You will have demonstrable experience of delivering environmental/ecological reports preferably within the infrastructure development sector.
- You will have experience of working in teams including designers, developers and regulators including liaison and consultation.
- You will preferably have knowledge of Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) standards and their application on the highways network.
- You will be familiar with GIS packages.
- A full driving licence is essential.
Our benefits package
- Basic salary.
- Potential for a performance related bonus.
- Employer pension contributions of up to 10%.
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays)
- Flexible hours and blended working between base location/home
- Life assurance of 4 times annual salary
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines
- And much more…