Darwin Ecology is a well-established ecological consultancy, specialising in bat work, with a great reputation for providing innovative conservation-led schemes. The company thrives on a collaborative approach between our offices near Farnham and in Shaftesbury, supported by colleagues in Bristol.
As consultants we assist our clients to realise their development ambitions through the planning process whilst also delivering our core ‘integrated conservation’ ethos. We find solutions to deliver effective wildlife conservation on every project through the protection, mitigation and enhancement of wildlife opportunities as part of the built environment.
Our work covers a diverse range of projects across southern England, in relation to all UK protected species. Bat surveys and licensing are core components of our work and we aim to deliver innovative bat compensation and mitigation on every project.
A big part of Darwin Ecology’s ethos is a hands-on approach to mitigation and enhancement measures when it comes to the final stages of a project. We are passionate about designing bespoke solutions to any issues that arise on site and encourage our team to get creative and think outside the box when it comes to supporting our clients and the species we work with.
We aim to strengthen your existing ecological specialisms, whilst being supportive about exploring your interests and taking your career in new directions. We aim to create a fun, collaborative and supportive working environment that encourages diverse approaches to the work we do.
We are seeking experienced Ecologists (£25-33k depending on experience) and Senior Ecologists (£33-42k) to join our South East team. We would also be interested in hearing from experienced candidates currently based near Bristol or Shaftesbury if they consider they fit the job role.
Our south east office is located at a beautiful rural venue in Bentley, near Farnham, Surrey while our south west office is based in a business park in picturesque Shaftesbury, Dorset.
Candidates should be well-rounded technical ecologists and meet the following minimum requirements:
- A degree in ecology or a related subject and post-graduation experience in ecology within a UK consultancy environment;
- Experience in a range of habitat and field surveys (including bat surveys), analysing and interpreting data and writing professional reports;
- A good understanding of the planning process and of appropriate bat mitigation strategies;
- Demonstrable team and independent working skills;
- Applicants should have membership of CIEEM;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines whilst project managing multiple projects; and
- Hold a UK driving licence, be prepared to travel to different sites in your own vehicle and to work ecology survey hours.
Additional skills that will be considered advantageous include:
- Bat Mitigation licensing experience;
- Minimum Level 1 class survey licence for bats;
- Additional survey licences or licensing experience (particularly for great crested newts or dormice); and
- Experience of the planning system and associated technical processes such as Environmental Impact Assessments, Habitats Regulations Assessments and Biodiversity Net Gain Assessments.
A career at Darwin Ecology offers great opportunities for growth and professional development and we strive to ensure that our employees work in an environment that is supportive, fair, challenging and enjoyable.
In addition to a fair and representative salary, reflective of experience but with potential for relatively rapid increase, benefits to the team include:
- A generous profit-linked bonus scheme;
- Minimum 24 days annual leave;
- Generous training budget and in-house mentoring;
- Structured TOIL system.
Please send a CV and cover letter highlighting how you meet the requirements of the role, to:
Sarah Firmin, Business Support Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
For an informal chat about the roles, please contact Mike Cummings, Director on 07748 843842.