ScottishPower Renewables is at the forefront of the development of the renewables industry through pioneering ideas, forward thinking and outstanding innovation. Our ambitious growth plans include offshore windfarms in East Anglia with our team leading the Group’s international offshore development. With over 40 operational windfarms, we manage all of our sites through our world leading Control Centre at Whitelee Windfarm, near Glasgow. At ScottishPower Renewables, we know people are central to building a better future, quicker and we are seeking new talent to join our team.
What you’ll be doing
Working as part of a team of ecologists in ScottishPower Renewables (SPR) you will be working to deliver a range of onshore projects including the development, management and delivery of Habitat Management Plans (HMPs) covering over 10,000ha. You will also support SPR’s rapidly growing portfolio of onshore renewable energy generation projects by providing bespoke ecological advice to SPR’s development team.
With the majority of our projects being situated in the uplands our work is focused on peatland habitats and includes large areas of blanket bog restoration. We also have around 1000ha of native woodland at varying stages of establishment throughout Scotland. With our future project development pipeline, we expect this to grow even further, particularly with a rapid expansion of solar projects across the UK and associated ecological enhancement requirements.
You will also have the opportunity to be involved in a number of exciting and innovative in-house research projects to further enhance our understanding of the effects of renewable energy projects on flora and fauna. If you have a science-based degree and experience of these aspects of ecology and are keen to apply that knowledge to real-world applications in the natural environment, the SPR Ecology team could be just what you are looking for!
What you’ll bring
- Educated to degree level in ecology, biology, or related science subject.
- Excellent ecological knowledge including management of ecological projects, legislation requirements, survey techniques and ecological mitigation measures.
- Experience preparing and reviewing EIA Chapters to support renewable energy projects, preferably including onshore wind, battery and solar.
- Knowledge of current statutory requirements and emerging policy/research/guidance relevant to the ecological aspects of renewable energy developments in the UK, ideally also including Ireland.
- Experience of delivering Habitat Management Plans on the ground, including peatland restoration and woodland creation is desirable. A Full UK Driving License and willingness to work at remote sites.
What’s in it for you
As well as a competitive salary which is reviewed annually, you can also enjoy a number of other benefits. With our pension scheme, we’ll double match your contribution up to a company contribution of 10%.
At ScottishPower, we believe it’s the little things we do in life that make a big difference. From helping you look after your family’s wellbeing, save for your future and take personal steps for climate action – our benefits are designed to help you do just that – so that you have everything you need to take care of your world – today and tomorrow. That’s why our benefits include:
- 36 days annual leave
- Holiday purchase – perfect your work/life balance with extra annual leave
- Share Incentive Plan and Sharesave Scheme
- Payroll giving and charity matched funding
- Technology Vouchers – save more and spread the cost of your technology purposes
- Count us in – pledge to reduce carbon emissions and help fight climate change
- Electric Vehicle Schemes – to help you transition to green/clean driving
- Cycle to Work scheme and public transport season ticket loans
- Options to purchase dental insurance, private medical insurance, health cash plan and annual health assessments
- Life Assurance (4x salary)
- Access to ‘nudge’ financial wellbeing support
- Plus shopping, leisure, restaurant and gym discounts, and unique employee deals on travel insurance and more
ScottishPower is part of the Iberdrola Group, one of the world’s largest integrated utility companies and a world leader in wind energy. With a commitment to generate all of our energy from renewable resources and a drive to create the energy infrastructure of the future, we’re at the forefront of the journey to Net Zero and investing over £6m every working day to make this happen. With diverse opportunities across our businesses and a commitment to invest in our own internal talent, ScottishPower can offer people real career opportunities that meet personal and professional goals, in a global organisation.
Inclusion, diversity, and a social purpose are at the heart of everything we do. Together with our values, they bring us together into a stronger, more sustainable business with direct links to the communities we serve. It takes all kinds of people to build a large-scale business like ours, so whatever your background, you’ll fit right in.
ScottishPower is committed to providing reasonable support or adjustments in our recruiting processes for candidates with disabilities, long term conditions, mental health conditions, or who are neurodivergent or require pregnancy-related support. If you need support, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country. If/when required, the Company will support the employee with the necessary Immigration requirements.