Ecologist – The Ecology Consultancy
Roles in London, Sussex, Norwich, Wakefield and Lichfield
We are a dynamic and growing business seeking self-motivated, positive-minded Ecologists to join our friendly teams across the UK in supporting clients in a range of different sectors across all areas of our work. Responsibilities include carrying out habitat and protected species surveys, advising clients of constraints and survey requirements, and establishing opportunities for biodiversity enhancements.
Depending on experience, this position could provide a great opportunity to learn how to lead and deliver individual projects from start to finish, manage sub-contractors and junior staff and write effective technical reports. Due to the culture of the company you would also be encouraged to further your CPD and would be given a chance to learn from more experienced colleagues who are experts in their field and can provide valuable mentoring.
We have fixed term and permanent roles available in several of our well-appointed offices across the UK and the successful candidates will be based from one of these, however, the project-based nature of our work means that in order to successfully carry out contracts there will be a requirement for travel, overnight stays and periods of working away from home.
To be considered for this role, you will have:
- A relevant degree qualification;
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in ecological consultancy or related work;
- Excellent fieldwork skills with experience of a range of fauna and flora survey methods;
- Excellent knowledge of relevant UK and European environmental legislation;
- At least one Natural England protected species licence (or be working towards);
- At least Associate membership of Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM), or be eligible;
- A valid Construction Skills Certificate Scheme (CSCS) card;
- The ability to plan, coordinate and lead surveys, often with quickly changing schedules;
- Experience of managing projects to deadlines and budget;
- Willingness to work outside normal office hours as required;
- The ability to use own initiative and be proactive;
- The will to take on other duties or administrative tasks as required;
- A full clean UK driving licence;
- Eligibility to work in the UK.
Preferably, you will also have:
- Experience in using a range of bat detectors and ability to analyze sonograms accurately;
- Experience in planning and advising on mitigation for at least one protected species;
- Experience in writing European Protected Species Mitigation licence applications;
- Experience in preliminary ecological appraisals and Phase 1 surveys;
- Experience in using a range of bat detectors and sonogram analysis;
- Experience in Ecological Clerk of Works;
- Experience in preparing BREEAM Assessments.
The Ecology Consultancy & The Temple Group
The Temple Group comprises The Ecology Consultancy, Temple and Arbeco, please see the websites for more information – www.ecologyconsultancy.co.uk; www.templegroup.co.uk; www.arbeco.co.uk .
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive salary;
- Flexible working and TOIL (time off in lieu)
- 26 days annual leave (& bank holidays)
- Enhanced maternity pay;
- Opportunities for career development and training;
- Auto enrolment pension scheme (after 3 months’ service);
- Cycle to work scheme;
- Socials, games nights and volunteering days;
- Fun, friendly, and forward-thinking co-workers;
- Dog-friendly offices.
If this is the role for you: Please apply by emailing your CV and a covering letter to: email@example.com.