ECOSA are pleased to be seeking an Ecologist to join us at our head office in rural Hampshire.
As a key member of our consultancy team, your enthusiasm for ecology and flexible approach will equip you well in supporting our expanding business.
With the support of our consultants, you will use your expertise to provide sound advice and deliver a wide range of survey and mitigation solutions across a diverse and expanding portfolio of projects to ensure our clients’ development and conservation goals are successful in respect of ecology.
This role is offered as full-time and permanent. Part-time or flexible working options would be considered for the right candidate.
You will have a minimum of three years relevant experience gained in ecological consultancy, local authority or a planning environment.
The ideal candidate will be customer focussed, detail orientated and a skilled communicator with strong verbal and written skills. You will be able to manage client expectations and meet deadlines, and be experienced in and comfortable project managing small-scale projects such as private home redevelopment and residential developments.
You will carry out a range of field surveys, including extended Phase 1 habitat surveys and protected species surveys, alongside day-to-day office-based work such as client and regulatory authority liaison, managing surveyor teams, report writing and budget management.
You will work on Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, Ecological Impact Assessments, designing and implementing ecological mitigation, compensation and enhancement schemes, habitat management and monitoring plans, and preparing and submitting applications for Natural England EPSM licences.
ECOSA strive for excellence and you will use your continuously expanding knowledge base to contribute directly to the growth and reputation of the company.
To be successful in this role, you will have the following:
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Associate or Full CIEEM membership;
- Degree in a relevant subject;
- Hold at least one Natural England / Natural Resources Wales protected species class licence;
- Minimum of three years post-qualification experience in an ecologically focussed role, preferably in ecological consultancy;
- Minimum of one year’s experience in managing small-scale ecological projects;
- Proven experience of undertaking Preliminary Ecological Appraisals and producing high quality Ecological Impact Assessments and other technical reports;
- Strong knowledge of relevant UK and European legislation, policy and guidance;
- Experience of project co-ordination, budget management and Health and Safety risk management;
- Be a team player with exceptional verbal and written communications skills;
- Sound MS Outlook, Word and Excel skills;
- A full driving licence; and
- Legal entitlement to work in the UK.
- Experience in using DEFRA Metric 2.0;
- Hold, or be working towards holding, additional Natural England / Natural Resources Wales class licences (bat, great crested newt or hazel dormouse);
- Botanical survey skills;
- Ornithological survey skills; and / or
- Other qualifications such as tree climbing and aerial rescue.
What ECOSA can offer you
ECOSA has a dedicated team of ecologists who are committed to the success of the business. We are therefore committed to the development of our staff and as part of the team you will have access to:
- A competitive salary in the range of £20,000 – £28,000 depending on experience;
- Flexible hours over the summer months with the opportunity to accrue either TOIL or paid overtime;
- Flexibility to work from home with prior agreement;
- A mentoring system to promote your development and encourage your progression with reference to the CIEEM Competency Framework;
- A generous structured training budget and regular in-house training;
- An extensive support network within the company to provide guidance and specialist advice;
- A relaxed office environment;
- Regular social events and yearly charity days; and
- A rural office location with free car parking, a large garden, wildlife ponds and lunch area.
ECOSA are committed to providing a safe and supportive working environment where all of our staff can thrive and actively encourage input from staff and contributions from the team on the direction of the company. We provide all of our staff with a contributory pension and access to a childcare voucher scheme (subject to eligibility).
How to Apply
Please email your Curriculum Vitae, ensuring to highlight all relevant knowledge, experience and skills, and a covering letter providing evidence of how you meet the above requirements, for the attention of Anita Mackley, Office Manager at email@example.com.
Please let us know how you found out about this vacancy and title your email in the subject line clearly as ‘Ecologist Vacancy’.
If you would like to informally discuss this role, please contact Richard Chilcott, Principal Ecologist (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the first instance.
Please note ecologist roles are only open to direct applicants; applications from recruitment agencies will not be considered.