Job Title: Ecologist
Discipline: Environmental Consulting
Closing Date: 20/01/2021
We are currently looking to recruit an ecologist on a full-time contract. They will be based in Belfast. You will work as part of a team of 7 experienced ecologists within Arup’s North region, within a wider multi-disciplinary consulting team to deliver an effective and professional service to a range of clients. Projects can vary significantly in nature and duration, which helps to provide a diverse working environment.
This is a varied role, and your day-to-day responsibilities could include the following:
- Managing the ecological input of projects, including client meetings, project delivery and budgets, preparation of bids and tenders;
- Preparation of clear and concise reports, including Preliminary Ecological Appraisals (PEA), Species Survey Reports, Ecological Impact Assessments (EcIA), Habitats Regulations Appraisals (HRA) and Biodiversity Net Gain (BNG) Assessments;
- Providing clients and team members with technical advice on subjects including survey requirements, mitigation requirements and habitat creation;
- Field survey work, such as Phase 1 Habitat/UKHab surveys (including condition scoring for BNG assessments and invasive species) and protected species surveys (e.g., for great crested newt, bats and badger). Data analysis of survey results;
- Opportunities to get involved in areas such as Biodiversity Net Gain and Natural Capital;
- Liaising with clients and other relevant stakeholders;
- Presentation of data using ArcGIS;
- Opportunities for flexible working,
Due to the nature of our work you will have the opportunity to develop a broad range of skills throughout your employment.
The position is based in the Belfast office and may entail travelling across Scotland and the north of England as required (depending on Covid-19 restrictions), assisting teams in Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Newcastle on a regular basis.
Requirements and skills
We encourage our ecologists to demonstrate drive and motivation, a willingness to keep learning about the industry and a desire to effectively deliver an excellent service to our clients.
As such, we are looking for the following qualifications, skills, knowledge and experience in you:
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree in a relevant subject, such as Ecology, Zoology, Geography or Biology (or equivalent);
- A postgraduate qualification in a relevant discipline, such as an MSc in Environmental Consultancy, is advantageous but not essential;
- Membership of CIEEM, or equivalent professional body and seeking to work towards Chartership;
- post qualification experience, most of which will have been gained within a planning or environmental/ecological consultancy area, preferably in EcIA and HRA/AA
- Experience in designing, carrying out ecological surveys and delivering EcIA and AA is essential
- A full driving licence is essential;
- Experience with protected species survey licence(s)
- Transferable Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of having worked in the consulting industry previously;
- Strong team-working skills;
- Strong commercial awareness
- Experience of having used ArcGIS software.