Contract Type: Temporary
Contract Length: (if applicable)- 12 month fixed term contract
Location: Edinburgh, Glasgow or Newcastle
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
As part of the continued growth of our established multi-disciplinary Environment and Sustainability team in Scotland and North East England, we are looking for an experienced ecologist, to join a team in either our Edinburgh, Glasgow or Newcastle office on a 12 month fixed term contract. We require a candidate who possess a demonstrable experience in project management of small and medium-sized projects.
How can we best work with you? Whether you’re a parent, a career, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours. At Arup you have access to a range of flexible working options – including flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time. If you’re interested in any of these options, please let us know when you apply, and we’ll discuss how this could work in your role.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcome all qualified applicants. You will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to sex, race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status. We recognise that not all disabilities are visible and will make reasonable adjustments to cater for diverse applicants in the selection and assessment process.
Arup requires an Ecologist to assist in a multi-disciplinary Environment and Sustainability team. The role will include:
- Providing excellent ecological technical knowledge into projects and EIAs, including for major infrastructure projects
- Project management of small-medium sized ecological projects, or managing the ecological aspects of larger multi-disciplinary projects
- Preparing reports including Preliminary Ecological Appraisals (PEA), protected species reports, Ecological Impact Assessments (EcIA) and Habitats Regulations Assessments/Appraisals (HRA)
It is desirable that the individual has demonstrable experience of water-related projects, with a technical skillset that compliments river restoration, natural flood management, green and blue infrastructure and habitat creation.
Skills/Experience required for the role
- Good background in ecological surveying, though this isn’t the focus of the role
- Current track record of working on environmental projects in a consulting environment
- Excellent report writing skills, including experience of PEA, protected species reports, EcIA and HRA
- Excellent project management experience, including application of QA procedures and financial systems
- Ideally ability to present and manipulate data in GIS
- Ideally have a track record and good working understanding of water-related work e.g. flood prevention schemes
- Able to develop successful client relationships
- Degree qualified in Ecology or similar
- Ideally a post-graduate qualification of MSc or higher
- Member of CIEEM, ideally MCIEEM
You’ll be working with a team of 6 ecologists and a UK Network of 60+ Arup ecologists. Having our ecology team split across three offices, teamwork is very important. The individual must be able to demonstrate their commitment to team work. Whilst based in one of the three SNE offices, the successful candidate must expect to work at times in our other two SNE offices to support projects based there and to travel to other Arup offices as required.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits including private healthcare and a range of other protection schemes are funded by Arup and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a Flexible Benefits Fund, available to spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to complement your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules, employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
What happens next?
If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application.
Arup. Shaping a better world.
Closing Date: 25/10/2019