Location: IUCN Headquarters, Rue Mauverney 28, 1196 Gland, Switzerland
Expected start date: 01 April 2020
Type of contract: Max-term (48 months)
Appointed by the Council, the Director General is the CEO of the Union and Head of the Secretariat. The Director General is responsible and accountable to the Council and the President between meetings of the Council, for the effective implementation of the policies and programmes of the Union. The most important tasks are to promote the mission of IUCN and link this mission to the financial strategies that sustain the organization. The Director General will shape and lead the implementation of the Union’s Global Programme as established by the Congress and Council. With the President, the Director General serves as an Ambassador and spokesperson for the Union on major platforms, promoting the mission of IUCN.
IUCN is a membership Union uniquely composed of both government and civil society organisations. It provides public, private and non-governmental organisations with the knowledge and tools that enable human progress, economic development and nature conservation to take place together.
Created in 1948, IUCN is now the world’s largest and most diverse environmental network, harnessing the knowledge, resources and reach of more than 1,300 Member organisations and some 10,000 experts. It is a leading provider of conservation data, assessments and analysis. Its broad membership enables IUCN to fill the role of incubator and trusted repository of best practices, tools and international standards.
IUCN provides a neutral space in which diverse stakeholders including governments, NGOs, scientists, businesses, local communities, indigenous peoples organisations and others can work together to forge and implement solutions to environmental challenges and achieve sustainable development.
Working with many partners and supporters, IUCN implements a large and diverse portfolio of conservation projects worldwide. Combining the latest science with the traditional knowledge of local communities, these projects work to reverse habitat loss, restore ecosystems and improve people’s well-being.
• Manage and lead the Union by articulating its vision, mission and policies and implementing the Union’s Global Programme.
• Work with Council, Regional Councilors and Commission Chairs to implement that Programme.
• Support the “One Programme Charter” which seeks to ensure that the different parts of IUCN: Members, as represented by National and Regional Committees, Commissions and facilitated by the Secretariat, work together to develop, implement and advance IUCN’s Programme of work.
• Lead, manage and motivate staff both at headquarters and within the IUCN regions, including initiating and implementing major initiatives through the decentralized regional offices.
• Promote partnerships with relevant private, public, development and non- governmental sectors to enhance the reach and impact of the Union’s Global Programme.
• Ensure financial sustainability by expanding and diversifying the sources of finance including through Framework Donors and by mobilizing new and innovative sources of revenue and funding to support the activities of the Union.
• Strive to enhance the global visibility and broaden the influence of the Union and represent and promote the nature conservation and ecologically sustainable development agenda in global public policy arenas.
• Communicate, coordinate and continuously engage with all parts of the Union, in particular with the Members and expert Commissions, to leverage their capacities and deliver targeted Programme results.
• Understand, and where needed, mediate between the diverse interests of NGO and State/government agency members of IUCN to further nature conservation and ecologically sustainable development goals, collectively and collaboratively.
• Ensure that IUCN’s programme and conservation solutions remain relevant in the context of emerging global issues.
For competencies and requirements of the role and to apply, please follow the link by clicking on the Apply button.