Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
Our excellent track record in supporting the water industry is resulting in substantial and exciting growth of our Water & Environment Team. We are currently working on some of the most exciting projects in the industry, including large and nationally important strategic resource options (SROs). Our focus on innovative water and environmental solutions alongside a wider array of consultancy services, means we are seeking to appoint an experienced Associate Director or Principal Environmental Consultant with both a strong technical background and the ability to lead high profile projects and programmes of work to completion.
- We are looking for a proven or up and coming environmental leader with experience of working on major water sector environmental assessment projects in the UK.
- To play a key part in delivery of exciting environmental assessment projects, working closely with an established client base.
- As part of a wider team of multi-disciplinary water and environmental experts, but critical to this role is understanding various environmental strands and linkages to support us in helping solve sometimes complex environmental challenges via a well organised and collaborative approach.
- Together with strong project/programme management/direction skills, you will have an ambition to help drive our business forward by delivering excellent environmental assessment services.
- A key requirement is for the effective oversight of large projects and programmes of work.
- The role will require good commercial understanding and the ability to own client and stakeholder relationships. Maintaining quality of service is essential, whilst balancing client needs and environmental regulatory requirements. People management experience and an appetite for developing new business would also be welcome.
- You will have the opportunity to work across all areas of Ricardo Energy and Environment to develop new business opportunities in the field of environmental assessment.
- You will be expected to contribute as part of a wider national team, working closely with colleagues in Manchester, Bristol, Harwell and London in particular.
Key competencies and experience
- Excellent understanding of the UK water industry and its regulation.
- Experience of managing technically complex water EIA projects.
- Sound knowledge of the UK planning system and consenting processes such as town and country planning and/or development consent orders.
- Expert understanding and experience of applying EIA processes and best practice.
- Strong project and programme management/direction capabilities.
- Experience of effectively managing client relationships and stakeholders.
- Appreciable leadership skills in a multi-disciplinary delivery setting.
- An environmentally related degree (ideally with a post-graduate qualification also).
Skills and behaviours
- Excellent organisational, communication and presentation skills.
- Collaborative leader who has ability to develop and support others.
- Ability to effectively manage resources and prioritise workload.
- Effective multi-stakeholder management skills, including internally and externally.
- Organised and able to contend with competing operational demands and pressures.
- Client-facing, opportunistic and comfortable with identifying and developing opportunities.
- Keen to develop personally and own appreciable segments of our service offering.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that’s working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We’re happy to discuss flexible working arrangements.