JCA Limited is an established arboricultural and ecological consultancy operating throughout the UK and occasionally abroad. Based in rural West Yorkshire, we have a strong reputation within the industry. The company is innovative and has a unique, friendly feel with a team of 20 Arboriculturists, Ecologists and support staff. We are seeking to appoint a senior ecologist to lead our team of currently 4 Ecologists, with a view to expanding this department over the next few years. JCA Limited are a caring and responsible employer, offering a pleasant, rural location with ample parking, a wonderfully friendly team and this position offers:
- A competitive salary.
- Flexible working hours and overtime payments.
- A company car.
- Company Pension Scheme.
- Company Bonus Scheme.
- Training allowance.
- Seasonal prizes for outstanding performance.
- Regular staff outings and meals.
- Be a full Member of CIEEM.
- Be educated to BSc level or above, in a relevant subject (Ecology, Conservation, or Environmental Sciences).
- Hold a full driving license.
- Have excellent communication skills, a strong sense of priority in dealing with communications and should set a good example to other team members by communicating clearly and in a timely manner.
- Be able to proof read and check technical reports.
- Have around 10 years’ experience working as an ecologist commercially and experience of managing staff.
- Have experience of working with the Local Planning Authority Ecologists and Biodiversity Officers.
- Lead our team, coordinate workloads, plan resourcing, and help develop a strategy growing the ecology team.
- Have an up to date understanding of relevant EU and UK legislation.
- Be able to update report templates, maintaining a high standard of work in line with CIEEM guidelines.
- Have a good grasp of the planning system and an understanding of the development industry.
- Have experience in writing a wide range of reports pertaining to ecological issues.
- Hold Natural England GCN & Bat licenses at level 2, and a record of successful mitigation license applications.
- Have strong botanical identification skills.
- Have experience of producing EcIA and PEA reports, preparing European protected species mitigation license applications and be able to produce bespoke ecological reports as required.
- Be able to give toolbox talks and habitat management advice to clients.
- Provide technical support to our ecology team, mentoring junior ecologists and providing training as required.
And ideally you should
- Be willing to attend public consultations and planning meetings when necessary.
- Be able to produce ecological surveys for code for sustainable homes (CfSH), BREEAM and plans along with working method statements and construction method statements.
- Be willing to assist in developing the ecology business in conjunction with the management team to provide our existing and new clients with an enhanced range of services.
- Have some expert witness experience.
If you meet the above and have a passion for ecology, please send your CV and a covering letter to;
JCA Limited, Unit 80, Bowers Mill, Branch Road, Barkisland, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX4 0AD. Tel: 01422 376335, Email; firstname.lastname@example.org; www.jcaac.com