As a Licensed Body of the Society for the Environment (SocEnv), CIEEM can offer our Full and Fellow Members the option to apply for Chartered Environmentalist status.
Chartered Environmentalists represent environmental professionals working in the UK and around the world. Leading teams and departments, advising governments and working as hands on practitioners, they use their specialist knowledge and broader environmental understanding to apply sustainable thinking throughout their daily working life.
Chartered Environmentalists come from a broad range of professions across industry, government, education and the public sector. They all have a high degree of expertise in their field and a commitment to environmental best practice.
To be eligible to apply for Chartered Environmentalist status you must have the relevant education, training and experience and carry out your work to high professional and ethical standards.
You will need to:
- be a Fellow or Full Member of CIEEM;
- evidence the required level of knowledge and experience;
- demonstrate knowledge of, competence in and engagement with sustainable management of the environment; and
- agree to comply with the Society of the Environment’s Code of Ethics and CIEEM’s Code of Professional Conduct and Continuing Professional Development requirements.
Supporting your CEnv application
Your Chartered Environmentalist application will be assessed against the requirements of each of the Society for the Environment (SocEnv)’s Key Competencies. Further information on these can be found below.
There are five stages in the application process:
- Check you are eligible to apply using the detailed eligibility criteria below.
- Using the Key Competencies, carry out a self-assessment to satisfy yourself that you can evidence the minimum standard of competence required.
- Identify and approach two sponsors who will be able to endorse your written evidence and support you in identifying the best examples to demonstrate your competence.
- Prepare and submit both of the written parts of your application (Stage 1).
- If successful at Stage 1, prepare for and attend your Professional Review Interview (carried out by video conference).
We encourage all applicants to download and review the additional supporting documents below:
- Chartered Environmentalist: Detailed Guidance for Applicants
- Chartered Environmentalist: Guidance for Sponsors
- CIEEM’s Code of Professional Conduct
- SocEnv’s Code of Ethics
- SocEnv’s Key Competencies
- Application form
Dates are set in advance for submission of applications and interviews.
Please note, these dates are subject to the availability of assessors and may change.
|Application Deadline||Interview Dates|
How much does it cost?
The total fee for registering as a Chartered Environmentalist is currently made up of the following:
Application Fee: £204 (due on application)
£60 – Initial assessment fee (incl VAT, non-refundable)
£144 – Professional Review Interview fee (including VAT, non-refundable)
Registration Fee: £86.00 (payable on successful application)
£86 – CEnv registration fee (VAT exempt).
Total fee: £290.00
There will be an annual SocEnv fee payable to maintain your chartered status. This fee is currently £58.00 and made up of a £43.00 subscription fee plus a £15.00 (VAT inclusive) administration fee. It will be payable along with your CIEEM membership renewal on the 1st of October each year.