In September 2019, we declared a climate emergency and biodiversity crisis – but a declaration means nothing without action. That is why we have now launched Action 2030: a project which will see us reach net-zero carbon emissions by 2030 and lead the way for our professions in taking urgent action to address the climate emergency and biodiversity crisis.
To achieve our mission, we are committed to a number of actions listed in our declaration.
We have since published ‘Climate Emergency and Biodiversity Crisis: The Facts and Figures‘ which we will review biennially to keep our members up to date on the state of these crises. We have also reviewed our Environment Policy to get our journey to net zero underway which can be viewed below.
The climate emergency and biodiversity crisis is a key focus topic for the Strategic Policy Panel. They will continue to highlight these crises where possible and call for action using nature-based solutions. The work of our Country Policy Groups and Policy Team will also feed into this, looking at how changes can be implemented across the UK and Ireland.
Action 2030 Working Group
One of the key commitments of our declaration was to set up a member-led working group to devise ways in which we, as a profession, can address the climate emergency and biodiversity crisis.
The Action 2030 working group will:
- Challenge and provide advice to CIEEM on achieving net-zero carbon emissions by 2030 in all of its operations and activities.
- Identify means by which CIEEM can lead change to professional practice to reflect opportunities to address the climate emergency and biodiversity crisis.
- Provide information and advice to members on how they can help to address the climate emergency and biodiversity crisis through their professional work.
- Promote the use of nature-based solutions to address the climate emergency.
- Build relationships and share knowledge with other relevant climate emergency and biodiversity crisis working groups.
More information can be found in the Action 2030 Terms of Reference.